Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Discussion Question Number One

Subjective Claim: A way of saying that opinion or perspectives on a certain subject matter may vary among person to person. You take your own lessons or morals from that idea, which will focus more on feeling and preference than of the logical persuasion, therefore, it is impossible to be declared to be true or false.


Subjective Example: I was on a train the other day, and heard a conversation of how light eyes (or for that matter any other lighter eye color) tend to be favorited, raved about more, or be considered far more attractive than, let's say, a person with brown, or darker, eyes. They talked about how in high school people immediately thought of other people with light eyes for yearbook's "Best Eyes" This statement would be considered subjective because the origin of this thought would come from a person's own idea of attraction and preferences and what they consider to be beautiful because, of course, there are plenty of people who might prefer other, "less popular" eye colors. Although, it can be understandable, since having light eyes is something a bit more rare to see (depending where you live), and because it's different, it grabs more of an interest---it's sometimes more striking. With lighter eyes, you are able to see more of the details in the iris of the eye. But even with all this, there is no scientific evidence or fact of being able to conclude whether the conversation of light eyes and its possibility of being the "best" kind of eye color has validity or not.


Objective Claim: Forming a claim based on factual evidence or ideas, not involving feelings but rather mere logic and fact, making it impersonal and able to be said as true or not.


Objective Example: A friend of mine was talking to me recently about how he learned through the internet how 50% of people have the tendency to yawn shortly after coming in contact with a conversation being held about yawning or, more often, seeing someone else yawn. Funnily enough, this conversation occurred quite late in the day, as well as, on the phone, which triggered a yawn from myself, in which he later did the same. I have recalled other events, and have asked other friends before of this statistic, and they have recalled at one point in their life to have experienced this. The fact that he wasn't giving his personal opinion that people yawn in these occasions, but was illustrating a reliable source proved to be impersonal and more factual. This example is an objective claim because it has been proven as fact and has evidence to support that this approximate percentage has done as the statement has suggested. There is validity to be proven, and this statement does not come from personal preference or feeling about the topic, making it unable to be seen as a subjective claim, and in result, becoming objective.

4 comments:

  1. Just a personal opinion, I don't like how your blog shows up on my laptop. The font is super small and I have to zoom in the page to read it.

    I've always heard people talking about eye color too. With time, and lots of eye contact. I see what people mean when they talk about the lighter colored eyes. They are very unique. Have you ever met someone whose eye color changes with their mood? I have. It looks absolutely beautiful. And the shades of blue, green, blue-green, and gray are all so dynamic. You see people with sky blue eyes and ocean blue eyes. And really, it's astonishing how the eye colors can vary. OR, it's maybe just me staring into chocolate/hazel-brown eyes all my life since my height doesn't really allow me to see different color eyes unless they sit down while I stand and stare into their eyes like I'm about to eat out their brains. (Haha, hope you got the reference to plants vs. zombies)

    And that yawning fact is quite interesting... I know about the theory "if you see someone else yawn you'll want to yawn too" but this is interesting. I never knew talking about yawning will make you want to yawn. I'll try it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed! I hope this is better. I initially thought it might just be my computer since I usually zoom out on it quite a bit. Thank you for telling me. :)

    No, I haven't met someone whose eye color changed with their mood, but I've been told by a few friends that their eyes change depending on the clothing they wear. However, that's a completely fascinating idea that they'd change with just a mood change. Is it a quick process? I've always wanted to see a person with heterochromatic eyes, it's seems so strange in a beautiful way.

    Lol, I'm still trying to beat that game! I'm on a level where we're on the roof that I just can't seem to pass. And those zombie letters, they are so deceiving and sneaky~, I love it.

    Yup! Around 50% of people. Hopefully it works! I'd hate for it not to. D:

    Thank you for commenting! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your example for subjective claims, “best eyes.” I remember voting for things like that for yearbook also. Other categories were also hard to determine because “best hair” is also based on attraction, and attraction usually differs between people. There is no way to prove that someone has the “best eyes” depending on their eye color. It is more of an opinion rather than fact. I also think this phrase could also be considered vague. Having the “best eyes” could also mean how well an individual’s vision is. Through that interpretation, people with 20/20 vision would be considered having the “best eyes” because they have perfect eyesight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly that kind of thing I was trying to illustrate in my example, nice, lol. :) Yes! It definitely could be considered vague, as well as, meaning they could have excellent eyesight (asides from a certain attraction), I hadn't even thought of that, thank you!

    Thank you for commenting! :D

    ReplyDelete